25.4.10

'We're all mad here'


"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

Does anyone remember watching the original Alice In Wonderland as a child? If you watch it again now you'll find yourself thinking how on earth did I sit through 'How is a raven like a writing desk?' or that hilariously psychotic tea party! Watching it over again now as a less naïve child, I found it a whole lot more darker and sinister. Though I do recall the part where Alice is in the woods and the little creature sweeps away the path she is walking on leaving her lost and alone stayed with me for a long time, leading me to set the video tape far up on my Disney shelf not intending to watch it again for a long time as it was far too twisted, even if it was all just supposedly a dream Alice had in the end.

Tim Burton's version definitely portrays and focuses on the darkness more, which I appreciate the twisted humour now that I can understand the personalities of the surreal characters. Even though I love what Burton has done with the graphics, green screen, 3D effects and generally the whole story of a sequel, I think you can't beat a classic. Which concludes to my own twist on an illustration from the original Lewis Carroll story of my favourite childhood character...

2 comments:

  1. Did you just use pen for this? I'm liking the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found the same when i watched forest gump again when i was a kid i didnt really realise the drug side of things or that his mother had to sleep with his tracher to get him into proper school. it was just a funny film! Loved alice in wonderland the film and the dsney version :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message :)